Select Page
Drawing with Frit.

Drawing with Frit.

The first non-test firing in the new kiln. Kiln works! Woot!

Nothing complicated. Black powder on Bullseye Tekta.
After Firing! not much different. except now it won’t blow away!
This programmer works on Rate/Hold, so I’m using that now… and I still like Celsius better.
Firing Program:
Currently Program 1 on Kiln
1. 333C/H to 745C hold 00:10
2. AFAP to 482C hold 1:00
3. 55C/H to 371C hold 00:00
4. AFAP to 21C hold 00:00
Fusing for Engraving

Fusing for Engraving

These were fired in kiln #2, with the following schedule:
1. 3:00 – 538
2. 3:01 – 793
3. 3:31 @ 793
4. 3:32 – 538
5. 4:00 – 516
6. 5:30 – 427
7. 10:00 – 50

They were put in, Monday November 10th, and came out Wednesday November 12th.

There were four shelves, the bottom shelf was two layers of grey over one layer of white. The second shelf up was two layers of steel blue over one layer of white. Each of those shelves were pieces that were 10″ x 6.5″. The third shelf up were smaller samples, one was cream on the bottom, grey, then black, and the other was black on the bottom, grey and then white. The top shelf was small two-layer colour samples. All the glass was Spectrum System 96 tested 3mm sheet.

After firing, the bottom layer had a lot of bubbles between the layers of glass. In the future, I will try the following firing schedule in order to reduce bubbles:

1. 5:00 – 590
2. 5:30 – 660
3. 6:00 @ 660
4. 7:00 – 710
5. 7:01 – 800
6. 7:31 @ 800
7. 7:32 – 540
8. 8:00 – 513
9. 9:30 @ 513
10. 13:30 – 427
11. 19:30 – 50

Also, the second shelf up cracked in one of the corners. Probably because I didn’t kiln wash the dams that I used around the fusings properly.

All the pictures from the process are in the following album.

Fusing #1

I intended to engrave all the pieces, but the two larger ones were cracked or bubbled. I did engrave the smaller samples, but the one that was black on top, did not work very well, in the future, I will make sure the have to top colour be thinner than the bottom one, as cutting through the two layers of dark colour to the lighter colour on the bottom left the back layer too thin, and forced me to cut away too much glass. The image at the top of this post is of the finished engraving on the sample that was white on top.