Apples and Hand Pressings

I got into a kiln with Rachel and Robyn with a full melt. Apples #1 and #2 and Hand pressings #1 and #2 got in and were placed on a shelf at the back of kiln #2. Underneath the shelf was Rachels large flat mold, and beside were two tall, cylindrical molds for Robyn’s balances.

The molds were 40% plaster, 60% Silica, as per usual.

The apples had flower pots placed over them with Salmon coloured cullet from the hot shop, 600g in each (wax: 178g).

The hand pressings had built-in reservoirs, that were filled with System 96 furnace pellets, 325g in #1 (wax: 70g), and 135g in #2 (wax 35g).

It was fired on April 14th, at 00:30 on the following schedule:

1. 2:00 – 100
2. 10:00 – 150
3. 16:00 – 600
4. 18:00 @ 600
5. 18:01 – 860
6. 22:00 @ 860
7: 22:01 – 515
8. 38:00 @ 515
9. 68:00 – 390
10. 84:00 – 50

When I checked the Kiln at hour 18, the molds were still steaming, so I recycled to step 3, and gave it two more hours to dry.

The kiln came down on April 19th.

The hand pressings fired well, but the glass didn’t flow out of the flower pots for the apples, so they were only half filled, so they will be re-fired.

All the pictures associated with this firing can be found in the following album:

Hand pressings, Apples

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *